Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ballet Russes Sketches

The Ballet Russes: The Art of Costume exhibition at the National Gallery of Australia was absolutely breathtaking. All the work was so inspiring, it's such a shame that costume design really isn't like that any more. The gallery focused on the designers work more than anything - exhibiting all the costume sketches and paying particular attention to the "artist" designers such as Picasso, Matisse and Giorgio de Chirico. Leon Bakst was the prize designer of the Ballet Russes with most of the exhibit dedicated to his work. But no wonder! His sketches were so detailed and the costumes were immaculate.

I want to share what I saw with you, but of course because it was an exhibit I wasn't allowed to take photographs. So I sketched instead. Below is a few of the pages in my notebook describing what I saw and absorbed.





No comments:

Post a Comment